If you are avoiding refined sugars and preservatives it can be tough to find condiments that you are willing to eat. At this point I make my own ketchup, mayo, and mustard, because I like to know exactly what I am eating, and I like to have control over the kinds of fats I consume. I also make a pretty mean homemade barbecue sauce, but I find that a seasonal salsa is a really fast way to top anything off of the grill. Grilling intensifies the flavors of the peaches and avocados in this version, and it is really wonderful served warm over grilled fish. Colorado peaches are in season, so this is on regular rotation.
This is highly adaptable, and I sometimes grill a fresh jalapeno to chop and toss in, or use plums instead of peaches, or add chopped red onion–the basic premise is that if you grill the fruit first you will have a greater depth of flavor, and from there the choices are yours. It only takes a few minutes to grill the peaches and avocados, so if you are grilling fish or chicken this can all happen at the same time. You want to leave the skins on both the peaches and the avocado for grilling, to keep them intact, and it is best to use fruit that is ripe, but not too soft.
This is so simple but amazingly good, and it adds a sweet/savory note to any summer grilling. Give it a try for your next barbecue.
Thanks for reading
Grilled Peach and Avocado Salsa
- 3 medium, firm-ripe organic peaches, pitted and halved
- 2 medium, firm-ripe avocados, pitted and halved
- juice of one lime
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt, to taste
- crushed red pepper, to taste
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the peach and avocado halves, cut sides down, and grill until you have some clear char lines on the grilled surface. This will take about 4-6 minutes, depending on your grill's heat levels. Remove from heat and let them cool enough to handle.
- If you want to peel the peaches, the skins should slip off easily after grilling. I leave the skin on for color and fiber. Cut the grilled peaches into bite-sized pieces and place them in a serving bowl. Score the avocados in the shells, and then scoop out the pieces with a spoon and add them to the peaches. Gently stir in the lime juice, cilantro, salt, and crushed red pepper. Serve warm or chilled.