HOW TO DEFROST BACON IN THE MICROWAVE?
Although cooking frozen items might seem like an inconvenience, it sure is a blessing when storing food for a long time. Especially for meat and meat products, this is a good practice. So, when you have a box of bacon stripes, you must thaw them properly for perfection in cooking.
As most home chefs prefer, defrosting bacon in the microwave is highly conventional and faster. So, you must be wondering how to defrost bacon in the microwave if you’re new to this practice. It’s no hassle! All you have to do is set the microwave on defrost mode, place the bacon on a microwave-safe plate, and defrost it as necessary.
However, that’s just a summary. If you want to know the details of this process, take a few minutes and read the article thoroughly. Not only will you be able to know the proper way and tips for defrosting bacon in the microwave, but also the alternatives and some appealing dishes to make with them! Let’s dig in!
What is Bacon? How to Defrost it?
For the ones who have not yet tasted the mouthwatering food, Bacon is a cured meat made from the belly of a pig. It stands as one of the most popular breakfast meats around the world, and if having bacon in a restaurant, you’d often be served a few bacon pieces alongside eggs, sausages, and toast. The savory, smoky, and crispy texture of bacon is to die for!
If you are doubtful about the health effects of bacon, let me clear it out. The fat in bacon is mostly monounsaturated and contains a high amount of oleic acid, which is believed to have beneficial health effects. It is also high in protein and contains vitamins and minerals such as selenium, phosphorus, and vitamin B12.
However, despite the health benefits, you should enjoy your bacon in a limited amount due to its high salt and fat content. You don’t want a jump in high cholesterol with an increased risk of heart disease!
Now, let’s come to the question, ‘how to defrost bacon?’ Let me tell you; there are several different ways of defrosting bacon. Some of the most popular and common ways are giving it a cold water bath, refrigeration, microwaving, conventional oven defrosting, and defrosting in a frying pan.
Out of all these, you have come here to seek answers for ‘how to defrost bacon in the microwave?’ So, without further ado, let’s give you the answers!
Can you Defrost Bacon in the Microwave?
The short answer is yes; you can defrost bacon in the microwave! Defrosting bacon in the microwave is one of the fastest and most convenient methods of defrosting meat. Moreover, you can do it in smaller portions or even batches! However, there are some important safety tips that you need to consider when defrosting bacon in the microwave.
- When defrosting bacon in the microwave, it is important to ensure you use the correct settings and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Generally, the microwave should be set on the “defrost” setting, and it takes only a few minutes until the bacon is fully defrosted.
- It is important to ensure that the bacon is not cooked while it is defrosted. If you notice that the bacon has started cooking, immediately remove it from the microwave
- Another thing to remember is that defrosting bacon and cooking it are completely different things. Even after the bacon is defrosted, you must cook it in a skillet.
- Also, to avoid your delicious bacon getting spoiled or rotten, keep an eye on thoroughly cooking it. It would be best if you kept it out of the refrigerator for a short time.
Defrosting bacon in the microwave is a safe and convenient option. As long as you follow the microwave manufacturer’s instructions properly, follow the safety guidelines, there shouldn’t be any issues while defrosting bacon.
How to Defrost Bacon in the Microwave?
Defrosting bacon in the microwave is a fast, easy way to get your bacon ready to cook and it’s also a personal favorite way for many. However, following a few simple steps is important to ensure your bacon is properly thawed and safe to eat.
Step 1: Unpack– Remove bacon from the packaging. Take a kitchen towel and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Place the desired amount of bacon strips onto it and then top it with a kitchen towel.
Step 2: Defrost– Set your microwave on the defrost setting. Depending on your microwave, this may be labeled as “defrost” or “power level 4.” Set the timer for two minutes.
Step 3: Check the bacon– If the bacon is still frozen, reset the microwave for one-minute increments and check again until the bacon is thawed.
Step 4: Cook the bacon– Once you thaw it, cook it immediately. The best way to cook bacon in the microwave is to use a bacon rack. Place the bacon strips onto the rack and cook on high for one to two minutes per slice.
Step 5: Discard unused bacon– If you do not use all the bacon you thawed, you should discard the remainder. Re-freezing food can cause bacteria to form and can make you sick.
Simply follow these steps, and bless your taste buds with some delicious bacon in no time!
What are the Alternatives to Defrosting Bacon in the Microwave?
Although there is no question that we all love bacon with its deliciousness and versatility, unfortunately, cooking bacon in a frozen state is no easy job. While it’s more convenient to defrost bacon strips in the microwave, there are some alternatives you can try too. Let’s see.
1. Leave it on the Counter: If you have lots of time to spare, leave the bacon on the counter as an alternative to microwaving it. All you have to do is allow the bacon to sit at room temperature for several hours or until it has reached a defrosted state. With no rush, this is probably the best defrosting method for bacon as it is natural. However, be sure to use the bacon as soon as possible after defrosting. You surely don’t want to spoil it with bacterial growth!
2. Cold Water Bath: Another method is to place the frozen bacon in a re-sealable bag and submerge it in a bowl of cold water. You need to change the water every half an hour and check if the bacon has defrosted. Once it has reached its desired state, cook it immediately.
3. Bake: If you have no time to spare for the bacon defrosting process, the best option is to bake it in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the bacon on the baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remember flipping the bacon halfway through the cooking time. Although it’s the fastest defrosting method, it will not render the same results as microwaving or traditional frying.
4. Grill: You may defrost the bacon with a grill in the kitchen. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and place the bacon on the grates. Grill the bacon for about 5 minutes, and remember to flip it halfway through the cooking time. This method is similar to baking, except it will give the bacon a yummy, smoky flavor!
Now, one thing to remember is that no matter which method you choose, always cook bacon immediately after defrosting it. It will help to prevent any bacteria from growing on the bacon.
Delicious Recipes You Can Try with Defrosted Bacon!
Nothing beats the smell of sizzling bacon in the morning. However, if you’ve ever been in a situation where you need to make a meal quickly and don’t have time to wait for bacon to defrost, you don’t need to worry! Defrosted bacon is just as delicious and can be used in various recipes. Here are some tasty and easy-to-make recipes you can try with defrosted bacon:
1. Bacon Wrapped Chicken:
How to make it:
It is a great way to add a little extra flavor to your chicken or bacon.
- Firstly, season the juicy chicken breast pieces with the spices and seasoning you love.
- Next, you have to take 2-3 strips of bacon and wrap the chicken with them.
- Take a baking sheet and line it with tin foil; put a metal baking rack on top. Then, place the bacon-wrapped chicken on top of the rack carefully.
- The last step is to bake them at 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes. Next, bake it for another 10 minutes at 450 degrees F.
Voila! You have splendid bacon-wrapped chickens all ready to be enjoyed!
Take advantage of lining your baking sheet with tin foil and putting a metal baking rack on top because it allows grease to drip from the bacon, resulting in crisped-up bacon wrapping.
2. Bacon Fried Rice:
How to make it:
Once you taste this amazing and easy-to-make dish, you’d be craving it regularly! Simply fry some bacon and vegetables in a pan and then add cooked rice and seasonings.
Remember to use warm or freshly made rice sparingly because it will turn out moist and soggy which wouldn’t taste as expected. Instead, use day-old rice. If you love Asian flavors, adding sesame oil to the fried rice can be game-changing!
3. Bacon and Egg Breakfast Burritos:
How to make it:
Start your day off right with this delicious and healthy breakfast burrito. Start by frying up some defrosted bacon in a pan. Then add scrambled eggs, cheese, and your favorite toppings. Wrap it up in a warm tortilla and enjoy!
If you wrap the burritos in parchment paper, you can safely microwave them. However, if you have burritos wrapped in foil, do not use the microwave!
4. Bacon and Potato Soup:
How to make it:
The defrosted bacon will surely be worthwhile with this creamy and flavorful soup. Start by frying some bacon in a pot. Then add potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and your favorite seasonings. Simmer until the potatoes are soft and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
For perfectly thickened soup, Blend or mash a portion of the soup. Add some shredded cheddar cheese if you love the extra cream in the soup.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy meal or something a bit more elaborate, defrosted bacon is a great ingredient that can add a lot of flavor to any dish, right away!
How long do you need to defrost bacon in the microwave?
The time needed for defrosting depends on the bacon type and your microwave power in watts. It can take anywhere from 3 to 7 minutes.
How long can you store or eat the bacon after thawing?
After thawing, you either need to store it in a Ziploc bag immediately or cook it. You can keep the cooked bacon for up to 3 days in the fridge and in the Ziploc bag for 2 days.
With this, you are now knowledgeable about every trick and way to defrost bacon in the microwave, along with some alternative solutions. To end it, there are some tips you can apply. To avoid uneven defrosting or burning, check the bacon more often. Besides, you can minimize the defrosting time by flipping the packaging every minute; another way is to separate the bacon slices, so the heat is distributed equally.
When defrosting bacon to make some yummy dishes, all these tips will help you get the job done with perfection. So, no more minutes to lose; grab the frozen bacon from the freezer and start defrosting them to create a final mouthwatering meal!