So yeah, the theme is trashy and this is my trashy salad.
It’s a big pile ol’ ingredients.
And you eat it with your hands.
I’m kidding. I mean, I wouldn’t recommend it in public, but I did finish this plate with my fingers – to keep with the theme, of course.
I made one of my favorite salads for this special occasion.
The salad is all nutty, yet refreshing, but crunchy and of course salty. It’s all sorts of awesomeness piled on top of each other.
I do wish I could make this for you in real life. And then we’ll have a sleepover and stay up way too late talking about everything we possibly can until we pass out. Oh yeah, good times.
Kale Salad with Apple, Hazelnuts & Bacon Recipe
- 1 bunch of kale stem removed & chopped
- 1/2 green apple julienned
- 1 medium carrot peeled and thinly chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 2-3 or heaping 1/3 cup stripes of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2-4 ounces of Pecorino Romano sheep cheese, grated or crumbled
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare dressing – In a medium sized bowl, whisk together together shallot, vinegar, mustard, and salt + pepper. Continue to whisk while you add olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, massage the kale with 2-3 tablespoons of dressing.
- Add apple, carrots, hazelnuts, bacon and top with grated pecorino cheese. Toss with a little salad dressing at a time – you won’t need the entire amount. Taste & add more if needed.
- Top with a little more cheese and freshly ground pepper.